Differences between Panny Lumix DMC-FZ200 & FZ60 (& LX7)

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Francis Carver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
Differences between Panny Lumix DMC-FZ200 & FZ60 (& LX7)
Jan 27, 2013

I figured there could not be all that much, since both cameras share the same owner's manual. Still, FZ200 costs almost 2x the price of the FZ60. FZ200 takes still pix in RAW + JPEG, FZ60 in JPEG only. For the price spread you'll also get a constant aperture zoom instead of the variable aperture zoom with the FZ60, and one additional dual-use microphone / remote control jack, that is it, right? I never found these dual-use jacks good for much, I mean what if you really need to use both a microphone and the wired remote with the FZ200 simultaneously, like when you are recording video with it? Seems like you cannot, right? Also, the "microphone jack" on the FZ200 is the remote control size 2.5mm type, but that is not what audio devices and microphones use, you would need a 3.5mm mic jack for that, sorry.

With only a 1/2.3-inch or 1/2.33-inch CMOS sensor, the FZ200 stumps the FZ60 in that the FZ200 has the 12MP sensor, and the cheaper FZ60 has the "consumer paradise edition" 16MP sensor. Ouch, that hurts. Compared to these 2 small sensor models, the LX7 with its much larger 1/1.7-inch sensor and only 10 million photosites and very bright lens should easily triumph in low light performance over both the FZ200 & FZ60, I would theorize.

Mode dial settings seem to be identical w. both FZ60 & FZ200, and in fact the same as what is on the LX7. Including Creative Movie Mode for manual control of video features. Yeah, the FZ200 can accept an external microphone's or XLR adapter's or audio recorder's AUX mic level signal, and the FZ60 cannot (just like the LX7 cannot). So for audio capabilities, the FZ200 is one step better than FZ60 and LX7, but then the 2.5mm jack for this input forces one to use an additional 2.5mm to 3.5mm plug adapter, never a good idea with unbalanced audio signals. Panny went rather infamous for using the same oddball 2.5mm size microphone jack on their high-end Lumix GH2, I guess they just can't say "no" to that weird mic interface still.

I was floored to read the specs that says both FZ200 & FZ60 only have the low-rez 460K resolution LCD screens, wow.... compared to, for instance, the LX7 that has a 920K rez LCD. For someone like me preferring to bypass viewfinders altogether and apply an LCDF FV loupe w. 2x magnification directly to the LCD screen itself, watching a 460K rez screen versus watching a 920K screen makes a huge difference. Talk about EVFs, seem the FZ60 only has 202K rez EVF, good luck spending time with that one, phew... What was Panny thinking w. a 202K rez EVF on the FZ60, I wonder?

That seems to be about if primarily from a videography standpoint, at least, did I miss anything major?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60 (Lumix DMC-FZ62) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow