Started Jan 27, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ismekin
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Do I have a bad Canon 50mm f/1.8 copy?
Jan 27, 2013

Hello friends, I am a newbie to photography. I have a Canon T3i camera and have been only playing around with the kit lens that came with it. Recently I got the Canon 50mm f/1.8 from BHphotovideo, this is my first lens other than the kit lens. It is an import or the so called "gray market" copy I it for $94.

The package came loosely packed, I'm afraid that it might have experienced some shaking during shipping. However, the lens itself was firmly packed in that little Canon box. I opened it and it says lens is made in Malaysia.

For some reasons, I think I have a bad copy. For example, the auto-focus is quiet unpredictable. If a person stands in front of me, it will not focus on the person; rather, it focuses on the background, I had to re-focus the get it right. This rarely happened in my kit lens.

Also, when I manually select one specific focus point, it will not even focus sometimes. The focus ring  just keep turning and it sounds like it got stuck, view finder is very blurry and I was not able to take a shot because it couldn't focus. I had to move the camera around to make it finally focus on some thing then I could take a shot.

After I took few shots I looked at them on my computer and found that the pictures are not as sharp as I would expect. I see many shots on the internet that are taken with this lens and they look amazingly sharp and beautiful. I thought my pictures are not sharp because my hands were not stable enough, maybe I got used to the IS kit lens. So, I set the shutter speed to very fast and tried to hold the camera as stable as I could, but they are still not very sharp, especially when I zoom in I could see the fuzz.

I have my uploads here, can someone please look at them and tell me if my lens is bad, or it's just me as a newbie can't set it up right? Am I gotten too used to the IS kit lens so I couldn't even take a stable shot in low light?  http://www.flickr.com/photos/ismekin/sets/72157632620804724/with/8418856162/

I understand some of you might say it's just a cheap lens so just bare with any issues it may have. But this is my first lens I don't know if I am just paranoid about lens quality or it's just bad.

Thanks for your advice!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow