Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 13,951Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not both?
In reply to Vlad S, Jan 27, 2013

Vlad S wrote:

josha wrote:

Hi,

I'm curious what you all think--with cameras like the Samsung Galaxy Camera and now the Polaroid iM1836 (the interchangeable lens camera with Android built-in), do you think buttons are dead and everything (maybe not the shutter) will be done through the touch screen on cameras 5 years from now?

Touch screen is a lot faster for selecting a focus point, or an object for tracking than buttons or dials. Selecting a spot for metering is also faster with a touch screen. But adjusting aperture is easier with a dial. AEL/AFL probably makes more sense with a button than anything else. I think that after fads pass, every kind of control will survive and will be used for what it does best.

Vlad

Touch screens are also lousy for zooming and shutter release.  I do occassionally use the camera in my iPhone, but hate touching the screen for the shutter release - it would be far more stable if the release was a physical button on one edge of the camera.

Mark B.'s gear list:Mark B.'s gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow