For a safari which lens??

Started Jan 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
djsphynx
Regular MemberPosts: 485
Like?
Re: Safari lens?? This is asked a lot in this forum....Rent?
In reply to RBFresno, Jan 26, 2013

RBFresno wrote:

boris Fincheltub wrote:

I have a Nikon 18-200 is it worth getting a Nikon18-300 (heavier, not sure as sharp) or a Sigma 18-250 to be used in a D7000

any experiences??

best

-- hide signature --

Boris

Hi!

This is one of more commonly asked questions in this forum:

http://www.dpreview.com/search/forums?query=safari&forum=1030

It's not as simple of a question as it might at first appear.

Some folks might be happy with their iPhone, and don't want to carry around anything much heavier. Others might not mind hauling around 30 pounds and tens of thousands of dollars of gear, and still wish they could take more.

The answer depends on many factors including budget, weight/space restrictions, individual tolerance for image quality (or lack thereof). Some Safari venues might do better than others with regard to the type of camera equipment.

All that said, most folks on Safari's are going to wish that for some shots, that they had more reach than what the 18-200VR or even the 18-25o Sigma offer.

Also, I was a bit leery of taking only one camera body half way around the world.

In your situation, I might consider renting a second body and longer lens.

The 300 f/4 was suggested above, probably matched with a 1.4 TC. That lens, paired with your 18-200VR will give you much better opportunities that just the 18-200VR.

Also, many Safari sites are dusty, and keeping lens changes to a minimum to avoid dust bunnies invading your sensor is a good idea.

What did I take to a recent trip to Tanzania? You might not want to know!

Best Regards,

RB

Great answer. I would love to know what you brought to Tanzania though

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow