which would be the best raw processor for the XE-1?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,051Gear list
Like?
Re: which would be the best raw processor for the XE-1?
In reply to Ariston, Jan 26, 2013

I think CaptureOne gives the best image quality right now, but at $300, it is also one of the more expensive options. It handles fine details better than Adobe products and handles highlights & shadows better than RFC/DSP5. Raw converters based on DCRAW produce too many artifacts.

If you are looking for the best value, then the in-camera processor is free and creates jpegs nearly as good as CaptureOne can create. But, if you later decide to use different settings, the process of loading the images back on the card and processing in camera is very time consuming. JPEGs can also have limited latitude for other post processing.

RPP and Accuraw (beta) are reported to do a decent job, but these only run on Mac.

I am currently using CaptureOne on a 60-day trial. I am hoping that by the end of the trial, either the price comes down or another option comes available. It is difficult to justify paying $300 for CaptureOne, when Lightroom costs only $150.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow