Does anyone use a 50mm as their main lens on a full frame?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,852Gear list
Like?
No magic autofocus
In reply to tamasine, Jan 26, 2013

tamasine wrote:

I do actually have a landscape lens - it's an old AI-S 24mm f2.8. I bought it when I first got my D90 and used to practise with it to learn about exposure. I believe it might be a nice lens on a FF camera and will meter on the D600 (I'm not sure if it will autofocus though?) The main thing I want to avoid is excess weight and bulk. I realise that some of the best lenses are big/heavy so I'm hoping to find a few alternatives that provide most of the IQ but are lighter/shorter. I would also hope that something like the 24-85mm VR on a D600 would be capable of taking better photos than a D90 with the 16-85?

How could a manual focus lens autofocus? You would have to rig a belt drive motor to the focusing ring.

AI lenses will, as you note, meter on a D600, which they don't on a D90. This is pretty helpful since you can use aperture priority and the lens will operate just like it did 20 years ago.

The 24mm f/2.8 is a very compact lens but it's not going to be sharp until about f/8 and you'll need to correct the chromatic aberration to get passable quality even then. I've relegated mine to a bag at the bottom of a dark closet.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow