James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,933
Like?
Re: Dropbox link to the raw image
In reply to jonska, Jan 26, 2013

jonska wrote:

Here is the raw image for those of you who wanted to try your hand:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5036384/IMGP0689.DNG

It is lucky(?) that the shot I happened to post to illustrate my problem is quite a difficult one to process: grey skies (and easily washed out), dull ocean, bright-coloured houses.

It is, however, decently exposed, I think, and in focus.

The basic problem (I think) is there is the weather conditions taking out both contrast and staturatuon. The good news when you look at the histogram staight from the camera is that neither highlights nor shaddows get anywhere near the ends, so it is simply a question of how to render a picture with a narrow range in way which looks pleasing to the eye, rather than "flat". So here is my go. It took me about 2 minutes in LR

The middle image is the result of hitting auto in Light room It's a big improvement (and similar to Irfan view but I'm not happy - especially with the sky.

The bottom one I've  boosted the vibrance and applied a grad to the sky. If this was more than a quick demo I might have fiddled with the sky more. But I was trying to it as a quick hack. I'd probably make the adjustments slightly smaller but I wanted them to be obvious  .

I really look forward to the results and perhaps some explanation of what you did and how long it took.

This is NOT a competition. It is a pooling of ideas and sharing of experiences. Nevertheless, the person who gets the loudest applause will be entitled to two fingers of the finest single malt whiskey made on Earth if they come up here to Iceland to claim (in fact, all participants will be so entitled).

I will now proceed to send e-mails to those who wanted the raw to experiment with.

I hope this drop box thing works. My password had expired, so I had to go through the whole process of renewing.

Have fun!

-- hide signature --

Shooting since '59 and still waiting for a keeper

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow