Anyone else facing consistency problems with TTL?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 15,594
Like?
diffrent
In reply to tundracamper, Jan 26, 2013

tundracamper wrote:

I can't seem to find the internet source that discusses this in detail.

It is worth remembering that the flash metering system is heavily weighted toward the center of the image. I have found my results with CLS greatly improve when I put the subject in the center of the frame and use FV-Lock in TTL mode. Then, when I recompose the flash component doesn't change. If the subject is off center, your results with CLS TTL can be all over the place without using FV-Lock.

I was thinking CLS switched between TTL-BL and TTL when the metering was changed from Matrix to Spot. However, I can't seem to locate that in any manual, even though I thought it was. I must be mistaken on that.

With the built in flash on the D300 you have to be in Matrix or center weighted to get iTTL-BL (page 171 inm the manual). The SB-800 when mounted on the camera...iTTL vs iTTL-BL selected by the speed light but I think the area used for metereng can differe based on camera settings.  When FV-Lock is used the metered area changes (page 180)

Here is the best source with lots of comments and discussion:

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

Great source

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow