help me buy a good slr camera

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,726Gear list
Like?
Re: help me buy a good slr camera
In reply to Deleted1929, Jan 26, 2013

Hi Stephen. I'm not sure this discussion is in any way off the topic. Do you really think so? Besides, it's on a side thread. 

Anyway, I completely agree with you. Relook at what I wrote and notice, I said that I ask to determine how far they want to go. I completely agree that most will stay under $1000 and most will never wish to go to that next level. There's nothing wrong with that.

I try my best to determine if the OP here or otherwise has the commitment, passion, and desire to really want to learn photography, possibly making a lifelong career or hobby from it. If so, I suggest the move to better gear and one lens only at the start. I suggest cameras which I think make it easier to learn.

If, however, they are interested in photography from more of a casual hobby basis, then you've seen me suggest the entry level kits by all brands. For those purposes, they are very capable.

Like I said, it depends on whether or not they want to really learn photography from the ground floor up. That's the people I think would do better with something like a D90 or D7000 or even a D700 where they have those refinements and features which make photography easier to learn.

There is no reason for a casual photographer to learn the Zone System either. The manufacturers have made great strides in automation in scene evaluation tools.

I promise my view is not an insult to the entry level models nor those who do well with them. I also understand there might be many who just cannot afford to make the type purchase required to purchase the more expensive gear. Some of these are serious and passionate photographers who can create compelling and beautiful images with a point and shoot or inexpensive entry level camera.

The point was strictly in regard to what type of camera helped to make it easier to learn with irrespective of cost.

Have a great weekend my friend.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow