LX7 Underground Video

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Francis Carver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
LX7 manual -- wrap-up
In reply to Markr041, Jan 26, 2013

Video frame rates: saw nothing in the manual about 24p, 25p. So, I assume camera cannot shoot 24p and 25p video -- strange. Furthermore  in AVCHD chart shows it can only shoot at 60fps or 60i, and in MPEG-4 mode, only at 30 (I assume that is progressive). However, in MPEG-4 mode bitrate is 20, 10, or even only 4Mbit/second, so the video quality is going to be quite low, no matter how we slice it. I knew something has gotta give w. the LX7. You want more codecs and better codecs and higher bitrates, gotta get that GH3, it seems.

Also, I just don't see how you can play out video from the camera on non-NTSC TV sets when you travel overseas. Since I hang around in Europe a lot, this is certainly not too good of a news.

EZ = Extended Optical Zoom: would be nice to zoom with a 6.7x range, unfortunately not available in video mode.

iZOOM (page 94): Supposed to give you an extra 2x range, but o idea at all from the description what this might bwe, whether it is a aprt of the EZ or not, and if it works in video mode.

DIGITAL ZOOM: If it is part of the EZ, it probably won't work for video. Otherwise it it might, maybe even w. iZOOM, but could not understand the "English" in the manual on this. Very complicated zooming options with the LX7, Panasonic should have just given us an 8x or 10x range optical zoom and be done with it in my view.

LX7 lens -- is it zoom or merely variofocal? Keep reading these sentences: "after zoom operation, readjust the focus." If you zoom and the focus needs readjustment just because of that, that means the lens is not a zoom lens but a variofocal. I had no idea they were still making those. A modern zoom lens can freely change focal distance without the lens needed to be refocused.

Setting sensitivity: there is AUTO ISO and iISO (intelligent ISO?), does anybody knows the difference (page 109)?

White balance (p. 111): for some strange reason, there is no WB preset for fluorescent lights.

Bracket recording WB (p. 114-15): anyone understand what this is?

Burst shooting of stills: 2 pix/second for 50 seconds = 100 pictures total. Or 5 pix/sec for 20 seconds duration = 100 pictures total. Poor man's intervalometer for time lapse. In 16:9 AR, you can in fact record virtual 4K video resolution stills (9MP of 3968 x 2232 pixel images). Thanks, Panny. Just too bad burst shooting cannot be used w. toy effect and miniature effect. There is regular time lapse also w. longer intervals between pix,. but the you are maxed out at 60 pictures in total, as opposed to 100 pix w. burst shooting.

Behind the lens ND filter is a 3 EV stiop single stage filter, so you might still need to engage front of the lens a fixed ND or adjustable ND filter on certain occasions (while shooting video).

Whereas I still could not figure out the difference between AUTO ISO mode and intelligent ISO mode, it is nice you can set a an upper ISO set limit when shooting video in Creative Movie Mode. We know LX7 shoots robust videos even at ISO 400, so after trying that and video shot at ISO 800, I would set the maximum allowable sensitivity in video to either ISO 400 or 800. Has anybody tried playing with this yet?

Image stabilization: there is nothing on this feature, really, except you can turn it ON and OFF. Is it any good in the LX7, particularly while shooting videos, I wonder?

Active live view out before and during video recording: read manual cover to cover, now rod about what pictures camera might give out in active mode via HDMI or analog component jacks. Should it not put out any live images this way during recording or at least just up until recording actually starts, that would be a huge let-down. Panasonic does not seem to provide either a mini-HDMI cable or a 2 RCA jack analog AV cable with the camera, he-he-he. But they warn you that you must use only Panasonic brand cables, ha-ha-ha.

According to the manual, you cannot upload AVCHD video yo your computer (!!!) using the supplied USB cable, only MPEG-4 video. SO, I guess you will be taking out and reinserting the pesky little SD card quite often.

Filters: if you want to use the really small 37mm filters on your lens, Panasonic expects you to purchase from them an optional "filter adaptor kit," DMW-FA1. But I would never do that just to mount a filter on my lens. Buy the time you buy the dozen or so accessories for the LX7, you are past the $700 mark.

Manual (p. 205) describes a DC coupler and AC adaptor, although no such accessories are even offered by Panasonic on the product's web site. No big loss, since there is a warning that it may be impossible to mount camera on a tripod head when using the AC adapter, nor can it be placed standing upright on a flat surface, like a tabletop. And who wants to use AC power with a small camera that is hand-held, anyhow? In general, cables being jacked into a camera, any camera, from the BOTTOM of the camera are a bad idea for these reasons. Cameras with external power jacks on the side are much better alternatives.

And when using a non-Panasonic battery, you mae get a warning from the camera: This battery cannot be used. In that case, Panasonic suggest you try a genuine Panasonic battery, ha-ha-ha.

All in all, Lumix LX7 seems to be great for stills and particularly great for manual control video clips, particularly is sound quality and sound adjustment capability is of no great importance to the user. Otherwise you would really to use dual sound (external audio recorder and then replacing camera audio with the much better audio on the timeline).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow