Does anyone use a 50mm as their main lens on a full frame?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406
Like?
Re: Does anyone use a 50mm as their main lens on a full frame?
In reply to heulwen, Jan 26, 2013

heulwen wrote:

Nice photographs and I too find the last of your series particularly intriguing.

Yeah, yeah, we have these cameras to be able to change lenses, but that's not why I'm into it. I just love to take pictures, and sometimes less is more in terms of gear. And less does not equal a p&s for me.

+1. I had five Zeiss lenses for my go-everywhere APS-C mirrorless (Ricoh GXR) but mostly (90% of the time) used one. We buy interchangeable cameras for many different reasons; I don't feel like I'm getting less out of my camera if I mostly just use two lenses, and certainly my daily carry bag is a lot lighter with only two along for the ride.

In my case I find 50mm equivalent just a little too long most of the time, and too short some of the time, so I tend to use a 35mm/1.4 as my go-to normal lens. For me a 35/1.4 and 85/1.8G meet my needs most of the time. Once in a while I'd like something a little wider, and even less frequently, I'd like the view/reach of a lens a bunch longer. When i pick up another lens for the D800 it will almost certainly be wider, probably a 20mm or something in the range of 18-24mm, and ideally a prime if it means smaller and lighter.

To the OP, you never really know how you'll relate to a focal length until you spend a bunch of time with it. For some a fasti-sh zoom is a good compromise, for others a fast prime fits the bill better. Go with your instinct and past experiences. Or, buy a 50 since a 1.4G or 1.8G can be had for relatively few dollars.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow