5D3 HDR functionality (compare the borders of the images)

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
5D3 HDR functionality (compare the borders of the images)
Jan 26, 2013

I was out off-roading around the Chocolate Mountains in California when I saw a dead or dying tree and the offset against the sky seemed to be like a good shot so I took this using Canon's HDR functionality. I don't normally use that since I use some HDR software instead (in my case SNS-HDR) but I thought I would give the Canon functionality a try.

When I got home I ran the raws through SNS-HDR to compare and, to my surprise, found that the Canon  HDR functionality cut some of the image out of the final jpg. I was so surprised that I thought I would post the comparisons and ask if anyone knows why Canon took so much of the image out in doing its internal processing.

Here is the Canon HDR image. Look carefully around the borders to see where the shot ends.

The jpg from Canon's HDR functionality

Here is the result of the raws when run through SNS-HDR. Compare the edges of the images.

The SNS-HDR shot.

I know the SNS image looks a little "over-cooked" (I used the night pre-set which does that) but the point of this post is not the processing but the edges of the image. There is a lot more image from the raws than from the Canon internal HDR processing.

Can anyone tell me why? Thanks.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow