DxOMark: Is the 75 1.8 the best m43 lens Available?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,430Gear list
Like?
Re: DxOMark: Is the 75 1.8 the best m43 lens Available?
In reply to S. Miller, Jan 26, 2013

S. Miller wrote:

I'll admit that I haven't taken the time to read this entire (lengthy) thread so I apologize if this has been answered already.

I'm not a pixel peeper and I am certain that the 75/1.8 would be an amazing lens (I'm very impressed from the IQ I get from the 45/1.8 and my E-M5). So with that in mind, I'd like to know if the DxO score of 35 for the Nikon 85/1.8 and the score of 23 for the Oly 75/1.8 are on the same scale. Put simply, is the "best" m4/3 lens that far behind the "best" FF lens? Again, I'm sure I'll be blown away by the IQ of the Oly 75/1.8, but does FF vs m4/3 affect the scoring so that you can't really compare the two scores?

You can compare, but their sharpness scores are based on area, so FF lenses should return scores of 4x their M43 counterparts if the larger format uses its available sensor area to the same efficiency. Nikon 85/1.8 does not get 4x any M43 prime, not even close. What's more interesting is APSC SLR's. They tend to return similar scores as M43. If you are just after DxO sharpness, there is no point for APSC SLR's.

The most efficient way of achieving high DxO sharpness at the moment seems to be M43.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow