Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
crazybadger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,273
Like?
Re: EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM or EF 70-200 f/4L USM
In reply to BK Bear, Jan 26, 2013

BK Bear wrote:

bigfatron wrote:

If its just those two you're considering and you don't absolutely need 300mm then the 200L for me. The 70-200L is a hell of a lens. If it were the 70-300L v the 70-200L and you use 300mm quite a bit then its not so clear cut.

It's those two I already have. The one I keep will be the one that best compliments the 400 f/5.6 I hope to get. I am leaning toward the 70-200 as I'll then have the 400 for reach when needed and the 70-200 will have the speed (comparatively).

If you already have them I would suggest taking them both out and shooting away. My gut instinct would be to keep the 70-200 since by all accounts it is the better lens (not just sharpness but colour/contrast as well). But you never know, my old 70-300IS was a pretty good lens and Photozone used to describe it as a "hidden L-lens". Probably a little over enthusiastic but worth taking note of all the same. So my suggestion is take a day or two to really test the heck out of them first with the 7D (make sure to dial in any MFA you might need first) and then decide.

By the way nice choice of the 400 5.6. It may lack IS but is a great lens for the money and maybe the best BIF lens you can get. Just out of curiosity though, if you are shooting mainly sports where the play could be at the one side of the field one moment (therefore need the 400mm), but right in front of you the next, had you considered the 100-400? Just a thought?

Cheers Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow