Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,157Gear list
Like?
Re: Slightly OT raw converter discussion
In reply to jonska, Jan 26, 2013

jonska wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

I don't think this is off topic at all. ...

Glad to hear it. I don't post much here but I visit this forum daily and sometimes I see OPs being told "Go and post in the X forum".

I know what you mean, I was expecting someone to crab about my "Show us your K-01" thread because "a K-01 is not a DSLR".

I was disappointed that Silkypix wasnt included in DPR's test; it meets their criteria, and from anything I've seen is the best at translating Pentax IQ. Have you tried Pentax DCU4 conversion on your raw file? I expect that Reversal Film image tone would be a good match for this photo. Landscape would be good too, but more subtle.

It was indeed a shame that Silkypix wasn't included. I was so frustrated with LR and the Pentax software that I actually bought Silkypix 3.0 and I agree that it is best at rendering Pentax colours and IQ. I posted a few threads here on the subject some years ago. I still sometimes use it as an external program with LR (when Irfanview fails, for instance), but it is useless for DAM and various other things.

Sorry, what is DAM?

I have not tried to use the Pentax DXU4. I wrote off Pentax conversion software after my experience with the crippled Silkypix that came with my Pentax K-10d. I think that must be the most user-unfriendly software I have ever seen. Is it any better now, I wonder?

That was Pentax Photo Browser. I didn't find it hard to use, but it was very limited. Digital Camera Utility 4 that came with your K-5 is far more capable. You may still not like the interface though.

When you say "the supplied Silkypix Developer interface is absurd" are you talking about Silkypix in general or just the version that comes with the Pentax cameras? I ask because I found Silkypix 3.0 to be quite intuitive ... just one step to the next step to the next step etc. except that the "japlish" instructions were sometimes hard to understand.

I tried Silkypix Pro for a little while, a couple of years ago. I loved the conversions but not the controls. I went back to DCU4 because I was used to using it and results were similar to the full-blown program. I can't remember whether the Silkypix Pro interface was the same as Developer Studio, but I think not.

Like you, I have too much invested in Lightroom (time spent learning, money spent on books and plug-ins, time spent on tagging etc.) that I intend to grit my teeth and stick with it.

I have no time invested in LR, I just bought my first copy. I have access to Adobe CS3, and had tried LR3 and Elements 7. I found them all obtuse, and default results were quite inferior to what I was getting from Pentax software. LR4 seems easier to use and more capable than LR3, and the price has dropped considerably, so I've made the transition. However, I will continue to use DCU4 for any camera it works on (currently, my K20D). Here's a test of Pentax vs Adobe defaults. (I used CS3, with the 2009 version of ACR. I believe Adobe has made improvements since then:

https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/RawConversions?authkey=Gv1sRgCLqHn5yU5o7scw#

Pentax DCU4, pixel level crop

CS3 ACR, pixel level crop

Hence my interest in finding some way to skip the Irfanview/Picasa step for "quick and dirty" processing so that I can post directly from LR to Flickr, Facebook, here etc. Absurd to have those posting features and not to be able to use them.

I must say that I am not optimistic.

LR4 seems like a good improvement over LR3, so maybe it will work for you.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow