Does anyone use a 50mm as their main lens on a full frame?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
heulwen
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: Does anyone use a 50mm as their main lens on a full frame?
In reply to tamasine, Jan 26, 2013

tamasine wrote:

The biggest headache with considering the move from DX to FF is what lens to get. I use the 16-85mm mainly with my D90 and it's been absolutely fantastic. It mixes great IQ with a size and weight that is completely manageable.

Looking at the comparisons in FX, I'm not 100% convinced there is anything comparable, without either 1) spending a lot more, or b) carrying something a lot heavier. The most obvious choice would be the 24-85mm VR, and perhaps that would be fine for me.

However, I also have the 50mm f1.8G, which being 50mm on FF, might do a good job for most of my photography. I guess the biggest issue is landscapes...I realise that there are no 'landscape lenses' as such, but 50mm might be a bit restricting if it's not possible to be the right distance from the subject.

Since it's a relatively inexpensive, small, light but flexible lens, do any of you actually use it on your full frame cameras most of the time? Please feel free to post your pics too - especially landscape ones. Has anyone passed on the pro glass lenses to use the 50mm?

Not on FX, but my main lens on DX was the 35/1.8, a 50mm equalent. I even travelled with that combination alone and didn't feel hindered by it. Now on FX I use the 35/1.4 and the 85/1.4 as my main lenses. But, lately I have come to miss the easiness of having just one lens with me and just concentrate on taking pictures instead of wondering if this scenario would warrant me changing into that other lens. So I'm getting myself a 50mm. The 35mm is just a tad wide sometimes and the 85mm too long. 50 is a perfect in-between compromise when you just want to toss the camera in the bag and be done with it.

Yeah, yeah, we have these cameras to be able to change lenses, but that's not why I'm into it. I just love to take pictures, and sometimes less is more in terms of gear. And less does not equal a p&s for me.

Regarding landscapes, we all have different styles, but I rarely shoot landscapes wider than 35mm, in fact, on my last trip I mostly used my 70-300 for that task. I tried to look for some landscapes I would dare to show you, but I don't really have any worthy of that honour from my pre-FX era (two years back). I was mostly into "closer-up's" it seems. Here's a couple landscape-ish ones (two of them actually being... landscapes) with a 50mm equalent.

If I were you, I'd get the 24-85 if you get it for a good price, and keep the 50/1.8 along with it. That way you can experiment with the 50 alone, but you also have the zoom at hand if you feel hindered by the 50. Maybe you end up getting more primes to go along with the 50, like I did, or maybe you end up digging the zoom and it's possibilites a bit more and ditch the 50 instead. Either way, you'll have a great ride ahead of you, ;).

heulwen's gear list:heulwen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow