When do Moonrise and Sunset Occur at Same Time and Place?

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ron wrucke
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
Re: When do Moonrise and Sunset Occur at Same Time and Place?
In reply to ron wrucke, Jan 26, 2013

ron wrucke wrote:

I shot this sunset/moonrise picture on a Labor Day evening a couple of years ago on the Virginia Eastern Shore. It was unplanned; a fortunate coincidince. I've been unsuccessfully Googling trying to find a website that will help me identify dates/times when the moonrise and sunset will occur at the same time on the same horizon. I'd like to replicate the image and/or hopefully get a bigger moon if that is possible. I'm not too much of an astronlmy whiz, but I think the Full Moon always rises in the East; so I suspect that image is a little improbable. The question then becomes how close will the moon get to the sun, and how big a crescent moon can be captured .. ? Since this image was taken in early September, I'm wondering if the Autunmal Equinox might be a significant factor .. ?

Any website suggestions that would provide data to plan a subsequent attempt .. ??

Moonrise over Marina

I'd like to thank again all responders for their much-appreciated informative replies ..

Screenshot - The Photographers's Epheremis .. 9/1/08 (date of Moonrise over Marina image)

Screenshot - The Photographers's Epheremis .. 9/1/08 Details

As mentioned by ... forget the names; sorry ... the key was New Moon with sunset just before moonset.  Obviously, I had no clue how the moon moved relative to the sun; guess I just never thought about it.  Thanks to all the responses, now I do, and thanks to the Photographer's Ephemeris, I know exactly what the conditions were when I took that picture; I can visualize it on my monitor - a pretty impressive and very informative little program.   Now I just need to go into the future, look for that new moon and then check out the adjacent days looking at sunset and moonset times ..

Very friendly forum you have here .. !!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow