audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,362Gear list
Like?
Re: Slightly OT raw converter discussion
In reply to tr4driver, Jan 26, 2013

tr4driver wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

tr4driver wrote:

IrfanView is a nifty little program, and I use it as my main "double click" viewer in Windows. However, it is my understanding that when you open a RAW image with IrfanView, all it is really doing is opening the embedded JPG image included in the RAW file, and that IrfanView does not do an actual RAW conversion.

This sounds a lot like how Picasa works, it's not a true raw convertor. The "I'm Feeling Lucky" button in Picasa does exactly what the OP describes; it usually improves an image, but sometimes ruins it. As far as I can tell, I'm Feeling Lucky adjusts WB, contrast, saturation and sharpening, with one touch, but will sometimes blow highlights, cause sharpening artifacts and distorted colours.

-- hide signature --

Dan

I really think that when the OP is opening the RAW file with IrfanView, he's just seeing the embedded JPG with his camera settings reflected. Picassa on the other hand does actually open the RAW image. Again, this is easy to verify. I have a Fuji X-Pro1, and there are currently very view RAW converters that can handle the RAW files from this camera. Picassa is not one of them, and when I attempt to open a RAW image from this camera with Picassa, I get an ugly looking purple mess. IrfanView seems to open the X-Pro1 RAW files just fine; however, all it's doing is opening the embedded JPG file.

To test this, just set your camera to save RAW and JPG. Open both files with IrfanView, and I'll bet you they are identical. Now open both files with Picassa. They won't look the same because Picassa is opening the RAW file and unable to apply the camera settings.

Kurt

The quote below sums up what I've heard about Picasa "conversion". Picasa is not a raw convertor. You are not working on the 12-bit raw file, you are working on an 8-bit default jpeg conversion:

"Picasa supports raw data by immediately doing a fully automatic conversion to 8 bit data from the raw data with no input from you. You have no way to influence the raw conversion to JPEG. This pretty much eliminates the main reason you would shoot raw. A “real” raw processor requires that you get involved with the conversion process, helping to decide how to map those 12/14-bit color raw data into 8-bit color JPEG. What color balance should be used, etc. etc."

http://sergiy.kyrylkov.name/2012/07/14/picasa-for-raw-images-why-lightroom-is-better-for-raw/

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow