It's time to abandon PhotoShop

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rkelac
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
Re: Graphic Artists or Photographers
In reply to KRR, Jan 26, 2013

KRR wrote:

This thread indicates that the "art" of photography is being overwhelmed by graphic artists. Anybody out there who recalls the days of film when artists needed to have good equipment and then accepted the reality that--for good photos--all you needed was good light and proper camera settings. That's it.

This photoshop dance is contrary to my way of thinking. Why not put your effort into taking better photographs to begin with; then you would not need 1000 exposures, a database, editing, correction, layers, etc. With Aperture's intuitive design, I just crop and save a TIFF. Easy. Simple. Fast. Cheap. Come on people, let's get back to basics and let the graphic artists do their thing without corrupting our thing.

I just read the book "Looking at Ansel Adams" by Andrea Stillman. So I guess what you are saying is that photographers like Ansel Adams didn't have to spend time in the darkroom post processing his photos? Or, maybe you are saying that he didn't produce "good photos"?

Here's a quote from the book:

"'There is no such thing as the ideal or perfect negative.'  Therefore he needed to do 'a certain amount of dodging and burning' in the darkroom 'to achieve the tonal balance' he envisioned."

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow