Birding Camera

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,369
Like?
Re: Its a definate maybe!
In reply to MikeSE25, Jan 26, 2013

MikeSE25 wrote:

Leaving aside the superzoom option, which is an option if I need the money for home renovation, I have the following three options which will, I hope, have the quality to last a long while and each of which will be way better than my present skills (I will do something about that by a) learning about the new camera and lenses b) reading blogs & books etc. c) getting on some courses and d) getting out there and putting some serious effort into getting some good shots.)

In no particular order;

Option 1. Nikon D7000, Nikon 80 mm - 400 mm - f/4.5-5.6 D ED VR AF - Nikon F plus other shorter lenses.

Option 2. Canon 7D (or 60D), Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM plus other shorter lenses.

Option 3. Panasonic GH3, Panasonic Lumix G 100-300 mm, F4-5.6 O.I.S plus other shorter lenses.

If I have made a booboo and they are incompatible or unsuitable, please let me know.

I think the three cameras are of a similar standard (but certainly different individually) and each set up would cost roughly the same at present. I am slightly biased toward the GH3 because with the long lens it will weigh about half what the Canon/Nikon set ups will weigh, also the price will likely drop as this is a new introduction, but I don't rule the others out.

I am reading the reviews on Imaging Resources (the most thorough that I can find) plus many others so as to understand what each camera can do/not do. I will at some stage call in a camera shop (if there are any left - Amazon seems to be killing them all) and see if I can handle each of the cameras.

Thank you everyone who has contributed their time & knowledge, I have read every post and looked at every photo, some several times over.

I think you are still lacking the selection criteria to help you make the right decision. You need to write a business case.  ?

If you want something to eat which is best a bowl of fresh vegetables or a deep pan pizza?

Both are the right answer depending on the selection criteria you set first.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow