Slightly OT raw converter discussion

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonska
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,205Gear list
Like?
Re: Slightly OT raw converter discussion
In reply to tr4driver, Jan 26, 2013

tr4driver wrote:

IrfanView is a nifty little program, and I use it as my main "double click" viewer in Windows. However, it is my understanding that when you open a RAW image with IrfanView, all it is really doing is opening the embedded JPG image included in the RAW file, and that IrfanView does not do an actual RAW conversion.

I agree heartily that Irfanview is a nifty little program and I also use it as my main double click viewer for jpgs. I also use it as my editing software for "fun shots", i.e. jpgs taken with my P&S camera(s) or my phone, party shots taken only for posting on the Internet, etc. There are some good plugins available too, like AltaLux, which I downloaded the other day at the recommendation of a friend (also free - give it a shot if you haven't tried it)

I have never actually used Irfanview as a raw converter (I use Lightroom or CS5 for that), but I think you may be right about Irfanview just opening the embedded jpg.

Strangely, however, if you look at the Irfanview list of supported formats (help menu), it says that it supports "Digital camera RAW formats (Adobe, Epson, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus, Fuji, Kodak, Sony, Pentax, Sigma)" but also says in a footnote that "PlugIn is required for these formats, see above for download". This is actually a bit misleading if it is only opening the embedded jpgs. Hmmmm....

Thanks for the input.

-- hide signature --

Shooting since '59 and still waiting for a keeper

jonska's gear list:jonska's gear list
Pentax K-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow