How Nikon colors changed over the years.

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
joneil
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Does it really matter?
In reply to CraigBennett, Jan 26, 2013

Back in the days of film with my Nikon FM and FM2, I could (and some did) do that exact same experiment of yours, except using Kodachrome, Kodak slide film, Kodak print film, Fuji slide film, Fuji print film, Agfa primt film - well, you see the trend here?  If you don't believe me, look up old issues of Popular Photography and Shutterbug from 25 years ago.

Because of my colour blindness, I have always had to use a colour chart.  right now I use the same X-rite as you.  30 years ago, I used a kodak colour chart.

One thing is important - different brands of film change slightly in colour cast.  So do different brands of digital SLRs, and i suspect if some camera use CCDs and other use CMOS chips, if some use sensors form company A and others company B, you will see slight changes.  I suspect even changes in software will have an effect.

So what you have just learned is one of the most basic rules of photography.   Regardless of the technology involved, if you are serious about getting your colour right, always, always, always use a colour chart.  I betcha 200 years form now when people are arguing over which brand of holographic camera has the best colour balance, this rule will still be there

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ok,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow