Low Light ISO scores, compensating for sensor resolution

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
CurtG
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
Beyond theory, Personal experience
In reply to rkumar, Jan 26, 2013

Great post.  Interesting references.

Nothing quantitative to add here.  But, having moved from a D300 to a D800e I can say that the impact of image downsizing on percieved noise is too often lost in analytical details.  I bought the D800e for landscape detail, yet it currently serves as my only DSLR.  (Sold the D300, awaiting some sort of replacement by Nikon.)

After a few months of using the D800e in daily low light situations as well as my intended use, I can say that I don't worry nearly as much about noise.  On the D300 I'd start to get concerned breaking ISO 800.  Now, if it's not something I'm intending as fine art I'm not bothered until I break 3200/4000.

The resolution/noise tradeoff doesn't come free though.  There's file size (not an issue for me), saturation loss at the higher end, and an inherent need to use some of the sensitivity gain for shutter higher shutter speeds due to increased resolution if you do want to publish in larger sizes.

-- hide signature --
 CurtG's gear list:CurtG's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow