P7700 gives poor dynamic range / brightness results?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,905Gear list
Like?
Re: P770 gives poor dynamic range / brightness results?
In reply to Sol Invictus, Jan 26, 2013

Sol Invictus wrote:

Ok, here is the landscape shot taken with my Nikon Coolpix P7700

Nikon CoolPix P7700 lanscape shot

As you can see, although noise and detail are fine, the brightness levels are quite low. This shot was taken in Auto and Program modes and the result was the same. I tried to raise the exposure a bit (+0.30) and the highlights got burned...

Here is the same shot taken with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150. For some reason, the Lumix raised the ISO to 250.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 - Landscape shot

Looking at the overall exposures this is typical for Nikon. The Panasonic is overcooking the colors and exposure somewhat and the Nikon is undercooking.

So I'll say it again: Nikon is not famous for their JPEG out-of-camera results. They tend to be much more neutral with less "pop" than other cameras. For my friends, with weak PP skills, I never suggest ANY Nikon camera. They just want bright bold colorful images and that's what most other cameras deliver with their JPEG engines. A Canon G15 or S110 makes more sense for them.

But toning those JPEGs down to something closer to reality is harder work than adjusting the Nikon RAW file. This is what Nikon does. My JPEG files from my D800 are flatter than those from a Canon 5DIII as well. The real image lies somewhere in between and how I end up is all about my personal tastes.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow