Is the Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AF APO DG OS HSM worth owning?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
AC1
AC1
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Re: Is the Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AF APO DG OS HSM worth owning?
In reply to jonikon, Jan 26, 2013

It is most unfortunate you should want to take photos of birds, for you have chosen one of the most difficult objects to photograph. However it can also be one of the most rewarding.

The truth is you can never have enough reach for bird photography and i am sure 400mm will prove inadequate in many instances. i have no experience with the 120-400, but like you and many others learnt the hard way. So the following is my experience.

Started with the nikon 70-300 and was very soon disappointed. In certain circumstance it was ok but really not suited for Birding, my copy had poor IQ. Then bought a Sigma 100-300 f4. Even more of a disappointment. Sent it back to sigma for recalibration but no noticeable difference. So having waisted money on the first two, took some advice offered on this forum.

Bought the nikon 300 f4 + 1.4tc. Eureka, the perfect (entry level) combination in the Nikon line up. There is no comparison. The IQ, speed of focus and consistency is way above the other two.

I have since moved on and now own the nikon 500f4 VR, and again another leap in performance. In terms of IQ though the 300f4 can hold its own with the 500. The only draw back to the 300 as i see it is lack of VR, however i would not let that be a deterent it is an excellent lens that can achieve great results.

My advice is not to waste any more money and go straight to the Nikon 300f4 + 1.4. if not new try second hand.

All the best with your bird photographu.

AC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow