Lyle Aldridge
Contributing MemberPosts: 561
Like?
Re: Surface non-RT costs $900
In reply to Archer66, Jan 26, 2013

Archer66 wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Brian Miller wrote:

I only dropped into this one because someone needed to correct Jim's FUD about Office.

Just read the many available articles about it, and you'll see the same thing I said (Office RT is missing features like macros and add-ins).

Office RT is hardly "very scaled down" like you said.

Those missing features are not deal breakers for 99% of Windows RT users.

The missing features really don't seem like they're described clearly enough for me to tell. I am a pro Office user, but except for the email functions, I don't see anything in their listing that I can recognize as having any significance to me. I use macros, but I have no knowledge of  Visual Basic. If I hadn't been using Office day in and day out for two decades, I'd probably be embarrassed to admit that, but am I the only one who has no idea what they're describing?

Can the RT version create documents that can be shared seamlessly with Office files created by the desktop versions? If that's the case, that would go a long ways toward justifying the added expense for business users. Until we business users get weaned away from Windows and Office, that is issue number 1. I have yet to find a program on any platform that actually does that. Libre Office, for example, butchers the documents my assistants at work create in ant version of Word.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow