Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?
Event Photography X-Pro1/X100 Part II
Jan 26, 2013

So, to recount my previous thread, I was asked to attend and photograph the launch of a new organisation (which will hopefully be a charity once the charity commission gets around to blessing it) which promotes the rights of mothers in childbirth. This meant I needed to relearn how to use flash to use one with my X-Pro1 and X100. In the end I had the EF-42 on my X-Pro1 and the EF-20 on my X100.

Largely I used the 35mm between F1.4 and F2.8 (I mostly kept the 35 on the X-Pro1) and the X100 between F2.8 and F4. I kept the shutter speed about 500-1000 on the x100 and 160 on the X-pro1 (both within their respective flash sync speeds). Both cameras were set to ISO640-800 depending on the ambient light.

I didn’t find the AF superfast (on either camera) or great but it wasn’t the problem I expected it to be. I flipped between AF-S and AF-C depending on what I was shooting. In the final analysis AF wasn’t an impediment to this exercise and (the test for me) I don’t think I would have got any better shots with a DSLR or M43s camera. I could have adjusted the EV compensation on the flashes better but that was largely down to my own inexperience rather than any great problem with the equipment.

Here are a couple of the shots I liked from the evening:

Full blog post is here but (in warning) much of it is about the aims of the organisation rather than photography:

http://wp.me/p2wMAg-mt

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow