Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jezebel Masterson
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
A99 video: Are some of us plain crazy?
Jan 25, 2013

I do not own an a99, but I do own an a77. I am not too interested in FF at the moment, but I recently went on the prowl for a video machine. I have never been all too impressed with my a77 video, the sharpness more than anything. My options: Buy NEX  so I can use my A-mount glass, but give up AF, unless I spend more for the adapter. Buy a new system in a GH2, and worry about two systems glass. Buy another SLT that has better/sharper video. Lastly, buy a dedicated video machine, a camcorder.

After researching a whole lot, I chose a camcorder. I was really tempted by the GH2, but didn't want to learn a new system's lens lineup. More money, more headache, not for me. I thought about the a99, but video actually looked worse than my a77 from the samples I've seen. The nex PDAF adapter is rather expensive, and the NEX7 is already $1100. This leaves camcorders. I ended up grabbing a Panasonic X900m for an affordable $740, far less than any of my other options, and with much sharper results.

Now I won't pretend that sharpness is the only factor of video, it just happens to be the one I most care about as long as everything else isn't horrible. This brings me to my question. Am I crazy for thinking the a99 is soft? I have watched countless sample videos as I was planning my buy, and not one was sharp. I have even seen videos comparing it to the 5n and the EM5, falling short on both. I know the feature set on the a99 is amazing, it's got very low noise, great DR, great vibrant color, and has super fast PDAF for video. I care about sharpness though. There are dozens of video comparisons, this one shows a particularly large contrast. Here is a screenshot from 5n vs a99 . Is it possible that so many people are doing it wrong, or is the a99 just not that sharp?

I don't want to start a brand war here so please keep it civil, but I am curious if it is me or the camera. Anybody have comparisons to show one way or the other are much appreciated.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Pentax X90 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow