SD1m First Impressions

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Antone
Contributing MemberPosts: 699
Like?
Re: There are three good wide options...
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Jan 25, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

For the longer lenses the SD-1 has plenty of choices of equal quality. The 70-200 f/2.8 OS (newest model). The 150mm prime. Those plus as you said all the macro lenses are excellent on the SD-1.

I haven't tried any of the Sigma 70-200s but I did use the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS. It was very nice, but the Canon 70-200 f/4L IS was optically superior at f/4-5.6 at the long end, which is why I ended up buying it instead (I don't use it for much other than hiking here in Colorado). I have the 150mm HSM (non-OS) Sigma and it is a superb lens. But it's in the macro category that I mentioned above.

As for wide...

LarryJ has and shoots the 20mm, it seems to work pretty well for him.

I had the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 for a while but it was really soft on the 5Dii. From f/4 on it was as good as Canon's 17-40 f/4L at 20mm, but that's not saying much since the 17-40 isn't all that great compared to other L lenses. Bought and sold two copies of that lens.

The Sigma 8-16mm can be really good, you have to be careful focusing it. The very large B&W print behind the counter was from an SD-1 with the 8-16mm lens:

I had the 8-16 for a week for my SD15 and it's a fine optic, but it, too, has its deficiencies. I sent it back in favor of the 10-20 f/4-5.6 mostly for the ability to use filters, which are essential for landscape photographers.

And there is yet one more alternative. Shoot the SD-1 with medium and long lenses, and also carry a DP-1M...

I'm hoping the DP3M paired with my DP1M will cover most of my hiking trips. I'm a bit disappointed that the DP3M has 52mm filter threads. That means a new set of polarizers and ND filters just for that camera.

I'd also like to see Sigma make a 100mm or 135mm f/2 lens, but I doubt we see that anytime soon. Who knows, maybe it'll make Sigma's new lens announcement list when it's released next week.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow