P7700 gives poor dynamic range / brightness results?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sol Invictus
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
P7700 gives poor dynamic range / brightness results?
Jan 25, 2013

So I decided to get the P7700 as this camera seems to fulfill lots of my photography needs. One thing though that I can't understand is why this camera gives so darkened pictures. I mean, even though portraits come out great, landscapes are shot with low brightness levels and the colors are quite flat. It seems that those Nikon engineers had somewhat lowered the eV default settings. Even when I try to take a picture of a fully sunlit landscape, I lose lots of light overall. My attempt to raise the eV value doesn't help as higher eV values tend to "burn" the highlights.

Take a look at the photo in the thread started by fellow member Dwayne Oakes:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3369807#forum-post-50692093

What you see is a picture with great detail but the overall brightness is quite low. I know that Dwayne had set the eV to -0.7 but this picture was just an example of how my photos look like even without altering the eV values.

Do you experience any similar issues and if so, do you find it normal? Also, could it be a fault in the firmware? My P770 has the 1.0 firmware but I don't think that there is a new firmware released.

-- hide signature --

To see a world in a grain of sand and a heaven in a wild flower, hold Infinity in the palm of your hand and Eternity in an hour...

Sol Invictus's gear list:Sol Invictus's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS ACDSee Pro 5 HDRsoft Photomatix Pro DxO Optics Pro Elite +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow