For bokeh : 17-40mm L + 24mm f/2.8 IS or 16-35mm L or 24mm L f/1.4 ?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yoms
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
For bokeh : 17-40mm L + 24mm f/2.8 IS or 16-35mm L or 24mm L f/1.4 ?
Jan 25, 2013

Hello,

I currently own the 17-40mm L on a FF body. From a creative point of view, I feel myself limited as regards shallow depth of field. So, I thought about 3 solutions for which I'd like to have your comments. All three are in the same budget.

My concern is really more about being able to blur the background rather than being able to shoot in low light situation (even though this latest is a welcome addition). I like shooting 1 meter from the subject, cultural/street/life scenes.

1) Keep my 17-40mm L and add the new 24mm IS f2.8. The IS could be useful at times. But for panning photos which I enjoy, I think there's no dedicated IS mode.

2) Sell the 17-40L and buy the 16-35mm. I'll get 2.8 over the all the zoom range, but it's rather a T3.3 than T2.8 according to DxO and is not as sharp as the 24mm IS at 2.8. Also, since it's so hard to blir the background with wide angle lenses, will the extra 1 stop over the 17-40mm be a real game changer as regards bokeh ?

3) Sell the 17-40L and buy the 24mm f1.4 because even at f1.4 you cannot really blur the background (from pictures I saw on The-Digital-Picture) as a telephoto, so f2.8 will not really help. But I will really loose on zoom range (which also affect the look of an image) and have to rely on other lenses for +35mm or simply move my ass to get closer.

I don't use PS so detaching my subject and blur in post is not a viable solution for me.

What do you think ? Any advice or point of view on the matter ?

Thanks a lot,

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow