Crucial Lens/Accessories for First Trip With NEX-6 (Costa Rica)

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Speezy
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Crucial Lens/Accessories for First Trip With NEX-6 (Costa Rica)
Jan 25, 2013

I've had my NEX-6 for about a month now, although I haven't had as much time to get used to it as I would like. This is my first ILC, coming from a canon sx200IS which I actually really liked when I took it to Europe 3 years ago, and still use it quite a bit. I am heading to Costa Rica for a week in April though and am trying to stock up on the essentials for the trip.

Have:

NEX-6 Body

16-50 Kit Pancake Zoom

19mm & 30mm Sigma 2.8s (on order should be here next week, jumped at the combo deal)

Gorilla Pod (dSLR Size)

LowePro AW Photosport 200 backpack

Fotodiox M-Mount adapter for manual lenses, dad has a few old m-mounts from a minolta film camera I have been playing around with but they need some R&R

So I'm wondering what else would be "must have" items for such a trip? My main things are landscapes, long exposure night shots, and candid stuff with me and the GF probably. I'm looking at the following additions:

Benro MeFoto A1350 Tripod (found online for $160)

Sony 50mm 1.8 (local, craigslist for $220?)

Circular Polarizer(s)

Neutral Density Filter(s) - For sure will see some waterfalls to shoot

Extra battery (1 or 2?)

Battery/Wall Charger

Would love a waterproof housing but that won't be happening, I have a gopro 3 black edition for the water stuff.

Missing anything? With the kit zoom, 19mm and 30mm, is the faster 50mm worth the buy? I was considering trying out the two sigma's and maybe only keeping one since both focal lengths are covered in the kit zoom, just with smaller max apertures. Would it be worthwhile to look into a bigger zoom native e-mount? The 18-200 is probably a bit too much $$ at the moment. If not a native e-mount, maybe a manual focus m-mount legacy piece that could be had at a good price for now?

Thanks

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow