T. Hogan on D800 QC issue

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020Gear list
Like?
Re: T. Hogan on D800 QC issue
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, Jan 25, 2013

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

The number one problem I have with Thom's feedback is he is relying on stats based on the FoCal test target - which according to Nikons guidance on page 100 of D800 instruction book might not be reliable.

Not this again.  Explain away, if you will, the fact that a number of Nikon cameras DO figure out the non officially sanctioned targeting scheme in FoCal.

The number two problem I have if I remember correctly is it took Thom a couple of months to mention when testing a D800 outer point detail has to be in the vertical direction.

What does that have to do with Focal?  It has vertical and horizontal components to the target.

Some on this forum are suggesting those with a good camera should automatically assume everyone complaining is 100% competent.

Really?  I think pretty much everyone understands that these are uncontrolled tests.  However, when you do controlled tests by people like Thom Hogan and Roger Cicala, you get the same info.

The problem I have with assuming everyone complaining is 100% competent is, on this forum, I have seen 106 postage images complaining about the D800 autofocus. None of these images appear to be using a subject which, according to Nikon guidance, should be good or; if testing an outer autofocus point, contained detail in the vertical direction.

You are persistent, I'll give you that.  Yes, there are many poor examples of the problem described.  Welcome to the Internet.  See my point above.

When complainers post images indicating they did not not follow Nikons guidance on how to get good results using autofocus, how do we know for sure whether or not their camera has a problem?

Keep going.

This is not the same as saying there are no cameras with problems, but there do seem to be a lot of perceived complaints which might, with better testing, turn out to be expecting the camera to autofocus beyond the design capability.

OK - you miss the entire point.  On top of the subjective, one off experiments that people have been doing for the past year, you now have a pretty good (not perfect) system for taking many of those variables into account and coming out with useful information.  Your continued whining about the postage stamp, non official targets should really stop now.

There are a number of caveats in the FoCal data.  I'd really like to see some better statistical analysis and of course, we all would like to see more numbers.  It's beta.  It's an experiment - and a damned interesting one.

And I will reiterate my particular rant - Nikon needs to acknowledge this and help point out flaws, if they exist and work with users to get the best out of their equipment.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Yeah, yeah, we heard that.

Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow