Is it possible to make an IS Prime at non-IS quality.

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,656Gear list
Like?
Is it possible to make an IS Prime at non-IS quality.
Jan 25, 2013

I used to be concerned that building IS into lenses would be degrading the Image Quality of the lens too much.  Then Canon made the 70-200 f4 IS which I have and was satisfied that it could be done.  Now Canon has put out 3 primes with IS (the 28mm f2.8 IS (which I have), the 24mm f2.8 IS and the 35mm f2 IS which is an upgrade to the 35mm f2 non-IS according to the reviews so far but is it good enough for the price).  I paid $850 for the Canon 28mm f2.8 IS.  It is a nice lens but not good enough to me to warrant $850.  I would consider it a quality $550 lens.

Now we have the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART which from reviews may be one of the top image quality prime lenses one can purchase and does not have IS which may in part be why it's image quality is number one in the 35mm class and half the price of Canon's L and Nikon's top 35mm.  We as photographers can sure thank Sigma for coming out with the ART line and expect more high quality primes to come.

My expectation though is that the very very best lenses in their class will always be non-IS.  The non-engineer conclusion I have is that any extra elements will degrade an image unless they are there to increase image quality (like a UD element added to the design).

Maybe Canon will come out with a 50mm f1.4 non-L IS for $900 with equal image quality to the future Sigma Art 50mm f1.4 non-IS and prove me wrong.  Here's hoping.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow