Windows 8 RT DOA?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,478
Like?
Re: Surface costs $900 to $1100
In reply to Sean Nelson, Jan 25, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

This is the amazing thing that's happened, triggered by the iPhone - a huge shift toward mobile devices. Microsoft still dominates the desktop, but the desktop is already a pretty small minority when you look at the total number of tablets and especially phones out there. And there are a growing number of people who are quite happy with just a smart phone and don't even bother with a desktop.

I don't think desktops are going away because there are some things that they do a lot better than mobile devices - but I do think they're going to be less and less relevant as time goes by. This is why Microsoft is so desperate to get a toehold in the touch OS market. Unfortunately for them, I think the ship may already have sailed...

Agreed on all counts.

But just imagine all of the personal data that has and is migrating from desktops (and paper) to mobile devices. It's a security nightmare. Surely, the black hats are or will be shifting their efforts to target these devices big time. I worry that things are going to get very ugly indeed over the next couple of years.

There's thousands of the darn things lost or misplaced every week (day?). And a government that thinks it's entitled to examine your phone anytime without a warrant.

It gives one pause for thought as to what data you really want to keep on these things.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow