D800 AF now IMPROVED!

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
wombat779
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
Re: D800 AF now IMPROVED!
In reply to Shotcents, Jan 25, 2013

I wonder if part of the reason you are seeing the improved behavior with AF-C is the AF-assist bug. Basically, I (and others) have found that when using a D800 with a SB-700 or, so I have heard any other new generation flash (SB-900,SB-910), you will get focus errors if the AF-Assist function is enabled on the flash. This occurs regardless of whether the AF-assist beam is actually used (e.g., the problem happens even if you cover the AF-assist light). Focus goes back to being dead on if you use the camera's internal AF-assist light or if you use the AF-assist on an older flash like the SB-600 or SB-800. I ended up buying a used SB-800 for just that reason. I am assuming that this is some kind of firmware bug, or that Nikon is somehow trying to compensate for the AF-assist light being red.

Since the AF-C mode disables AF-assist, and it seems like you are shooting with a flash, I am thinking this could be the culprit. If you are using that combination (SB-700,900,or 910) and AF-assist, try disabling it on the flash and trying AF-S again to see if things improve for you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow