Sony A57 SLT vs Sony CX760v/PJ760v camcorder - for video

Started Jan 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A57 SLT vs Sony CX760v/PJ760v camcorder - for video
In reply to Cngfu, Jan 25, 2013

Having dabbled both in video and still photography, I can say there's a lot of things you can do with video in a DSLR.  The question is, do you want to?  I think there's some generalities you need to consider before getting into the specifics.

A DSLR, with some careful preparation, can produce some good quality stuff to be sure.  It's an excellent video tool for what it does, and for what you spend on it.  The lines seem to blur away a bit more each time they improve the video experience in a DSLR.  But just as you can also capture stills with a video camera, it doesn't necessarily mean you want to make a life of doing it.

For a DSLR I consider the video capabilities of my A57 to be quite good, class leading in fact.  For somebody who has both passions it gives me the luxury of indulging both.  That said I don't have all the flexibility that a dedicated video camera can provide, though the quality gap is narrowing.  Is it enough?  Only you can decide for your needs.

If it's your strong intention to get a DSLR, an A57 would be a great choice (the 18-135mm kit is an excellent start with it, $798 at Amazon currently marked down through 1/26).  It would allow you to try what it is you want to do and see if it fits your needs.  My guess is it would be a lot more satisfying and capable than you expect, if you know how to best exploit the camera's qualities.  At that point you may decide you don't need a dedicated video camera.  With a limited budget (and don't we all have one), this is no small option.  Good luck.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow