Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: XF-1 Owners ...
In reply to NIK11, Jan 25, 2013

NIK11 wrote:

NickPix wrote:

So, XF-1 owners ...what do you think of it in real-world use ?

For a lively forum, there's been relatively so little here from XF-1 users, but I'd be really interested in your views & experience.

Likewise, I've been waiting to hear more from users. On paper the XF1 offers a very attractive little package. Of course most small cameras with 24/25mm lens have some compromise in sharpness and we all know that EXR delivers at least one nice trick to the detriment of absolute resolution.

EXR mode is a wonderful tool, especially for JPEG shooters who aren't interested in printing large but are interested in getting the very best in terms of DR from the camera.

The question in my mind is whether IQ from the XF1 is noticably worse in everyday shooting at low ISO compared to say the X10 (or S110 that DPRE favour). I suspect it is marginal either way at best, and only when studied at pixel level and/or higher ISO will differences become apparent.

I'd say provided you are shooting JPEG, or have one of the better RAW processing packages (Capture One or Silkypix are reported to work better than ACR with Fuji XF1/X10 files) I'd agree that the differences in resolution are slight. And for high ISO, the X10/XF1 have a distinct advantage over the S110 and other 1/1.7" sensor cameras. And to me, one of the main IQ advantages, the ace on the deck as it were, is the spectacular colors of the Fuji X10/XF1/X-S1 cameras.

One potential strong point that now interests me (with grandchildren) is the alleged fast A/F of the XF1 and its high continuous rate with A/F. It certainly makes the S110 look pedestrian.

Totally agree.

Finally, XF1 refurbs are now available at a very resonable price which puts it back in the frame, for me anyway.

Refurbs are available, and as I mentioned, Fuji has lowered the price (at least in the US) a full $100 so the current price of $399 for the XF1 is similar in price to some of the better 1/1.7" compacts like the Canon G15 or Nikon P7700.

Best of luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow