Most compact way to have an off-camera flash on NEX

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Questions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,078Gear list
Like?
Re: I ordered it so we'll see...
In reply to Hin Man, Jan 25, 2013

Hin Man wrote:

One question that I forget to ask is whether you can mount the bracket of your Metz on a tripod as that will allow tilting at an angle for diffusing and bouncing light off ceiling.

Yes, you can mount it (see picture).  The bracket nut has both the male and female tripod threading, so no adaptor needed.  The nut is still loose in the bracket, but the rubber padding on the bracket provides enough tension to keep the flash from flopping around.  In the situation in the photo, I can quickly rotate the flash 360 degrees for bouncing off, say, the wall instead.

It's about the same thickness as the NEX-6 body, so when it's mounted to the camera it almost looks like it was meant for it.  It also comes with a tele adaptor and wide-angle diffuser (small plastic clip-on accessories.)  If you get a person who's a blinker, you can just cover the built-in flash with your hand or even pull it up to the ceiling to effectively eliminate the pre-flash.

For studio lighting, I use my old sunpack manual flash to trigger both my single studio light and this Metz (which makes a nice highlighter.)

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow