Does anyone use a 50mm as their main lens on a full frame?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sener
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: Does anyone use a 50mm as their main lens on a full frame?
In reply to tamasine, Jan 25, 2013

I do. Not the G anyway, but I've been using this focal length since DX (I used a Sigma 30mm on my D7k). I am using a 50mm 1.8 D on my D700 right now. The D will soon be upgraded to one of the G's, cannot decide yet. As a newcomer to FF I am one step ahead of your plan

FYI I never used zoom lenses. So can't comment on that.

As long as I see it, 50mm is a good all-around FOV in FF. No wonder why it was distributed as the kit lens in the past with film cameras. It is wide enough that you can capture a nice building from a moderate distance, and enough to create a soft background when you are shooting a portrait. Also a comfortable FOV for street and candids.

But I don't think you make the best out of an FF sensor with just a 50mm lens. You do not use a zoom, you need 1 or 2 primes too. I am thinking of a wide (20 or 14mm) and a tele (70-200 or a 180mm) prime to complete my setup. What I am trying to say is; 50mm is fine for a lot of the general photography but if you need to get specific (wider or more tele, or more bokeh) it will not be enough. Nor will it provide the flexibility of a zoom.

But a good FF-compatible zoom lens comes with caveats as you already mentioned in your post.

So it is a bit of a two edged-sword. I say primes are fun. You already have the 50 G. Buy your FF and start using it with the 50. You can then fulfill any shortcomings with another prime.

Also any lens can be a landscape lens, but of course it depends on your style of shooting. Although I long for a wider FOV, 50 was enough for me in some situations.

Here goes a landscape I made with my 50.

Sener's gear list:Sener's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow