The End Of My X-Pro Era

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
designdog
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm going the other way
In reply to deednets, Jan 25, 2013

Let me preface the following with the caveat that the X Pro1 is the finest digital photography experience I have ever had. I am keeping mine. I have all 3 Fuji primes, but do most of my shooting with a Nikon 28mm 2.8 ais, 50mm 1.2 ais, and 85mm 1.4 ais.

Now, onward.

It seems to me, in most of the negative reviews I have read on the X Pro1, that true context is lacking. Try a comparison (and since you brought the Leica into this, you should be familiar with it) of shooting with the X Pro1 and the Leica M - film or digital. Do not even think of another dslr, or mirrorless, or whatever. Just these two formats.

Yes, the XP1 has slow AF. The Leicas have NO AF. Yes the XP1 has some shutter lag. So do the digital Leicas. Yes the EVF on the XP1 is not state of the art. The Leica? Come on.

Now, with the right lens the Leicas will always win on image quality (at realistic ISO.) Of course they are full frame, and the lens is probably over $2,000. At high ISO the XP1 is better every time.

My point here is that in these negative reviews - even when the reviewer brings in the Leica at the beginning, as you did - the review starts to veer off towards dslr like expectations. Not the target for this camera. I think Fuji had a specific target, the one with the red dot and the $6,500 price tag.

The XP1 is not a Nikon beater. Or a Canon, Olympus, Sony, or Panasonic beater. It is a Leica beater. Put the blinders on, and view it in that perspective. If you want an all-everything camera, there are several to choose from. The OMD seems great. I bought a RX100 for my wife - it is a fine compliment for the XP1.

Regarding Aperture, I feel for you. but you had better start making the move to Lightroom sooner rather than later. The handwriting was on the wall when Apple cut Aperture's price about 300%. They are no longer in the pro market - software or hardware.

I have been on Macs since 1984, and Adobe since they bought Photoshop. The high end imac is great. I have confidence Adobe will fix the issue with the x trans.

Just, please, put the XP1 in its proper perspective, and good luck with your new camera!

designdog's gear list:designdog's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow