70-200f/4 IS L + 1.4tc or 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS L?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
crazybadger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,318Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200f/4 IS L + 1.4tc or 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS L?
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Jan 25, 2013

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

So why am I getting "upset". Sorry about that. Uncalled for. Just I am going through the process of updating some equipement right now and every time you ask a question concerning this lens/camera or that, the feedback from the actual users often gets drowned out by the "spec sheet gurus" who state "facts" about this function or that function based solely off the spec sheets, without ever backing it up. The signal to noise ratio is so bad it is impossible sometimes to really figure out what is really going on. If I want the spec sheet info or the review site I'll look at the spec sheet and review site. If I want first hand info I come here. To then get fed the same spec sheets/review sites as personal experience makes this site rather useless?

Yes,, expressing opinions on a lens you have never used is less convincing than actually posting examples, full-size as well, from one you have.

The maligned (well here, anyway) 70-300L is to my mind, if anything, too sharp. Not only that but it's sharp at all focal lengths wide open. (Mine is, anyway).

Do I like it as a lens? Well, I do and I don't. If I want a wide-range easily carried weatherproof lens it's great. If I want nice bokeh, then my new Sigma 70-200 EX OS is far better. It's not weatherproof but I rather the pictures.

THe 70-300 L

Nice shots there.

Yhep I've been very happy with mine as well.

Is the sigma you mentioned the f2.8? I've been looking at that and a few other 2.8s lately as well. It seems to be getting generally good feedback. Right now I tend to use my 100 macro lens when I need a 2.8 lens but I would like to move up to something in the 200-300 range soon. But I guess I'll ask you more about that in another thread. I've already hijacked this one enough

Cheers Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow