Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,483Gear list
Like?
Re: help me buy a good slr camera
In reply to jaison007, Jan 25, 2013

jaison007 wrote:

Bjorn_L wrote:

jaison007 wrote:

can anybody help me to buy a SLR camera. I am in entry level stage for SLR cameras.

Pls. help me.

Take a little time to think over what you want to shoot and how. I know you have no experiance with the stuff but just use your imagination as best you can.

1. Is low light very important?

2. What about poor weather?

3. Sports or photos involving relatively fast movement?

4. Portability? How sensitive are you with regards to weight of the kit?

5. Are you going to invest in a system and slowly add lenses and periferals or do you hope to manage this with 1 body and 1 "jack of all trades" lens?

6. What about budget? How much are you looking to spend initially? Is used an option?

7. Are you interested enough to take the time to learn? Or are you looking for a better photo by just spending more?

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

1. Is low light very important? yes

2. What about poor weather? weather is dusty in summer season & rainy season? how much impact will be there in means of weather condition?

3. Sports or photos involving relatively fast movement? yes for some extent around 70%.

4. Portability? How sensitive are you with regards to weight of the kit? no problem.

5. Are you going to invest in a system and slowly add lenses and periferals or do you hope to manage this with 1 body and 1 "jack of all trades" lens? may be slowly add lenses.

6. What about budget? How much are you looking to spend initially? Is used an option? medium budget.

7. Are you interested enough to take the time to learn? Or are you looking for a better photo by just spending more? yes i want to learn more & more in easy way step by step. want nice clicks on less spending.

Learning Stage.

Hi jaison,

Sorry I missed your previous post.

Since low light is important to you, I suggest you look a little at dxomark.com when considering cameras.  Low light is aided by better ISO performance and higher dynamic range.

Poor weather shooting (including dust and rain like you mentioned) means you should if possible get a sealed camera body and sealed lens.

Sports type shooting at 70% means that the availability of sports lenses is going to be super important.  This essentially rules out everything other than Nikon and Canon.

Given that size is not an issue, this opens up many of the best cameras.    These tend to be a little heavier.  To some this matters a great deal.

It is good that you are not looking for a jack of all trades lens as they do not deliver the best image quality.  Slowly adding lenses is the best way to go.  It gives you time to learn each one and more accurately select the next one.

I am not sure what medium budget means.  So I will  make several suggestions.

Sealed starter kit that is good in low light.  Nikon d7000 + Nikon 17-55 f2.8.  Neither is very cheap.  But there is nothing from Canon which competes with either of those two.  The d7000 is a good deal better in low light, the 17-55 f2.8 is both good in low light and weather sealed.  Both can be had used for some savings, but they are not super cheap.

Cheaper and also good is the Nikon d300 and d300s.  They are not as good in low light as the d7000 (although they are as good as the current Canon's 60d/7d).  Again the only sealed lens in the normal range is the Nikon 17-55 f2.8.

Other options: Nikon d600 or d700 (full frame cameras) with a Nikon 24-120 f/4 vr.  All sealed.

Pentax has several low priced sealed cameras and lenses.  They are the only brand with low cost sealed options.  However they lack sports lenses.  The Pentax is as good at low light as the same level of Nikon but the lens selection is not as good.

Canon has just as many fine lenses as Nikon including sealed lenses (just none in the APS-C normal range).  However the Canon's are not as good at low light as the Nikon or Pentax.

Given your stated goals, the d7000 seems the best fit if you can swing the cost.  If the 17-55 is too expensive, use the Kit lens which comes with the d7000, just stay out of the rain and dust as much as possible until you get a sealed lens.

If the d7000 is too much money, look at the d300.  It is a little better at sports (super advanced focus and metering system) and still really good at low light.  The d300 has no video.  The d300s does have video, but not as advanced as the d7000.

If the d300 is too much, look at a Nikon d90.  It has the same sensor as the d300 and d300s, but in a non-sealed body.  Reasonably good at everything.  And it can be had used for very cheap.  The Canon 60d is around the same performance but adds better video options than the d90 has.  Of course the 60d is priced very close to the d7000(which seems a better fit to your goals).

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow