Little help with Las Vegas photography please

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
bflood
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
Re: Little help with Las Vegas photography please
In reply to fare, Jan 25, 2013

Red Rock Canyon, a national conservation area, is about 20 miles from the strip.  Very good western red rock geology, an easy one-way loop drive 15 miles long with turnouts at selected spots.  The first turnout is at a wall used by local hard rock climber clubs for practice and teaching on the weekends (if weather cooperates).  You can climb easy terrain to the side of the wall to get very good angles on the climbers if you want.  There are canyons that go back into the escarpment that offer some good hikes if you want.  Take I-215 from the strip around the west side of the city, exit at Charleston Blvd, and go west to the entrance.  $7 fee.

Valley of Fire State Park, about one hour's drive northeast from the strip on I-15 (easy drive).  Larger than Red Rock, more of the same.  If you go, take food and water with you, there's nothing out there.  A good full day of hiking and shooting to be had there.  There's a fee, but I don't know the amount.

Nelson - a ghost town southeast of Vegas.  Take US-95 south thru Henderson, and follow it when it turns due south between Henderson and Boulder City.  6 or 7 miles south of that turn is state road 165, which will take you to Nelson.  Lots of old stuff there to shoot - cars, buildings, 100 year old junk.  Can't get to the mine itself - closed to the public. No admission.

Don't know if you'd like wandering around Hoover Dam - some do, some don't.  There's a new bridge that bypasses the dam to expedite traffic flow. It has a small parking lot (watch for signs) next to it and there';s a sidewalk on the dam side of the bridge that offers good views of the dam and canyon.  You can also go on down to the dam itself.  They have a tour (not free) and several parking lots at different places around the dam and the lake behind it.

Have fun.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow