Will faster SD card improve number of shots in 10 fps? (nex5n)

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hye
Hye
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
Re: Will faster SD card improve number of shots in 10 fps? (nex5n)
In reply to robert614, Jan 25, 2013

robert614 wrote:

geminihc wrote:

i just got a 5n and i'm able to do about 4 shots at 10fps (shutter priority) using my 8gb standard sd card.

is this normal? will i be able to improve this speed if i get a faster sd card or perhaps a sony memory card?

thanks,

Hello geminhc,

If you go into the menu and turn off "Lens Comp.:Distortion" under setup,you will get the full burst of 10+ frames before the buffer fills.Hope this helps.

Robert

This should only apply if one were shooting in Jpeg or RAW+Jpeg mode, right? If shooting in RAW only, there should be no in-camera processing that would delay writing...

Regardless, I would check that your sd card is rated as class 10 (there would be a 10 in an almost complete circle on the front of the card). Other common speeds are class 6 and class 8. I don't think they produce the slower ones anymore and the 8GB size suggests your card is relatively new.

There's a UHS (ultra high speed) rating for some newer SD cards, but not supported in all cameras. Of the NEX cameras, I think only the 6 *might* support it (given the official specs give burst speeds when using UHS). So it's probably not worth the price premium of a UHS SD card over a standard class-10. (though they are backwards compatible if you also plan to use the same card in another camera that does support UHS).

HTH

Hye's gear list:Hye's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow