Opinion about Hp Workstation XW 4600

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Scott Eaton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929
Like?
nice, but expensive
In reply to Cariboou, Jan 24, 2013

I'm with Jim on my respect for 'workstation' class machines (from both HP and Dell). I just think you can do better for the money. This is an inherent problem with HP workstations and Dell Precisions in that the secondary market keeps their prices high to re-coup costs while standard desktop lines have far better feature sets, newer architectures and cost less. Workstations often share the same motherboards as entry level servers, which is good, and bad.

Biggest annoyance with this box is the 4gig ECC. You'll need to invest in 8gig of new memory if you really want a nice, performance photo machine, and while 4gig certainly works fine why spend $1000 on the base machine and then throw away yet more money?

If you shop HP and especially Dell's outlet sites you can find equal if not newer machines with 8-16gig RAM for less money. I do like the fact the machine comes with Win7 64-pro -vs- Win8 though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow