Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,594Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon IPF6400 Printer
In reply to sjphoto, Jan 24, 2013

sjphoto wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

old_dog wrote:

I currently have an Epson SP4000 and am getting tired of dealing with the ink clogs. The constant work to keep it cleared wastes a lot of expensive ink. I am looking at a new printer and am considering the Canon IPF6400.

First, I am looking for user experience from anyone who has this (or other IPF) printer.

Second, I have a specific question regarding paper size. I currently print greeting cards in addition to regurlar prints. The paper stock is 7x10 inches. Canon says that 8 inches is the minimum width for the printer. For the Epson, they basically siad the same thing but you could disable the paper size checking and the printer handled the cards stock just fine. Does anyone know if the Canon IPF printers will also let you get away with a 7 inch wide paper? I could maybe try turning the paper so it feeds as 10 inches wide but, depending on the paper feed path, this might put a curl in the already prescored paper plus the leading/trailing margin requirements would most likely mess with the ability to print the full image. Right now I have to arrange the image so that the leading edge on the card allows for the startup feed margin on my Epson.

Thanks

The ipf6400's long list of advanced features and excellent print quality would make it a great choice if you want to move up to a 24-inch printer. If you don't need the bigger size or roll paper, theEpson Pro 3880 would be a good choice. With rebate they're only $899 (free shipping) and they are well-known for being clog-free, low maintainance machines.

I've had mine for 3 years with zero clogging problems. I'm going to be buying an ipf6400 because I need larger prints and I don't want to mess with the head cleaning/printing routines and head clogs in the Epson large format printers. Somehow Epson got it right with the 3880.

Sal

I just purchased a Canon ipf6400 from B&H. With the instant rebate it was $1934.00 with another $300.00 mail-in rebate. Thats $1634.00 with no tax and free delivery. I believe this offer is good through 3/15/13. Like the expression "too good to pass up"

I'm about to pull the trigger on that same deal!

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow