What do the pros do? (or: Scene Mode)

Started Jan 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
PBR Streetgang
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
Re: Thing is, what do the SCENE MODES do?
In reply to Barrie Davis, Jan 24, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

AnalogTrout wrote:

Yes, this is what I suspect. And it's precisely what bugs me.

Why let it bug you? If the camera does do it, and does it nicely enough to please you consistantly, then go ahead and LET it do it, for goodbness sake. You paid for the facility, didn't you?

Alternatively, if you would rather be fully in control of the process by means of editing software running in a computer., then learn to do that instead. You already have a model for what effects you are aiming at as provided by the camera. Use it to guide you in your learning process.

Above all, do not be bugged. Be happy.

Barrie Davis wrote:

• Portrait scene mode may do more than just control the same settings you have access to. It may add a degree of automatic retouching, such as smoothing applied selectively to skin tones, say... or possibly desaturate and reduce contrast of blurred zones, like backgrounds, to throw emphasis on to the subject.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

I agree, nothing here should bug you.  It should be seen as an added benefit of the Nikon that you can choose to use or ignore.  I do agree with your sentiment, though, that a straight forward tool has its appeal.  Although, some digital cameras have more going on behind the scenes than others, they all need to cook, or post process, the RAW file in order to create the JPG.  Without knowing more, I suspect, along with others, that it is the post processing that the D600 is doing (in the scene mode) that creates the look you like.  If you don't want the camera to do it, you can do it yourself on a computer.  LR will take you quite far, but something like Photoshop will be required for certain types of edits.  Oh, and don't think that post processing is not old school or not for the purist, as professional photographers in the film era would do a significant amount of it (in a darkroom, rather than with Lightroom).  In the digital post processing world, the tools are different, but the goals are often the same.

See Ansel Adams' Moonrise, Hernandez: http://rcodaphotography.blogspot.com/2010/01/inspirations-24-moonrise.html

(Comment not meant to start a film vs. digital or PP vs. SOOC debate)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow