Like?
Re: 12-35 unimpressive as a landscape lens
In reply to Shirozina, Jan 24, 2013

Shirozina wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Shirozina wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Shirozina wrote:

With it's high price tag I was expecting much from this lens on my GH3 but the edge resolution is disappointing under 25mm where my 14-45 is better at a fraction of the price. I shoot mainly at F8 and would expect any wide open edge losses to be resolved when stopped down but doing this on the 12-35 does very little. I was about to buy a 35-100 as well but was stopped when I started to read reports and see tests showing a similar so-so edge performance so this may simply be the design compromise of these lenses. On the plus side it has fast AF, weather sealed, fast aperture, a good solid feel and not bad edge resolution at 35mm. Think I'll sell it unless it's simply a bad copy.

The first question I have is do you have a good reason to shoot at F8.0?

I am getting tired of people stopping m4/3s lenses down and then complaining about the mistake they just made.

When I shoot at F2.8, F4, F5.6 the edges show the same resolution drop from the center. F8 'should' sharpen things up at the edges, not be too small to create diffraction softness and render a deep DOF.

All of the m4/3s lenses that are worth buying(ie: not the 14-42mm) achieve their optimal sharpness below F5.0.

Using F8.0 with m4/3s cameras and lenses is never the optimal thing to do for sharpness. You need to research the m4/3s lens characteristics a bit more. Do you shoot professionally with full frame?

All of the stereotypes you are explaining pertain to full frame and not to m4/3s.

So if I open up to wider apertures the edges will get sharper in relation to the centre? ( and I've already said I've tested this) - please explain what new optical laws come into play with m4/3? That don't apply to my Canon 5DII and P45 MF back ( assuming that an aperture is not knocking on the door of refraction limiting which I know F8 on m4/3 format is not.

I don't pretend to be an optical engineer, but if you peruse any site that does scientific lens tests you will see that in fact most lenses, whether MFT, APS-C, or full frame, are sharpest across the frame between f/4 and f/5.6.  It would be quite rare to see a lens that's sharper at f/8.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow