mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,640Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-35 unimpressive as a landscape lens
In reply to sigala1, Jan 24, 2013

sigala1 wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Shirozina wrote:

With it's high price tag I was expecting much from this lens on my GH3 but the edge resolution is disappointing under 25mm where my 14-45 is better at a fraction of the price. I shoot mainly at F8 and would expect any wide open edge losses to be resolved when stopped down but doing this on the 12-35 does very little. I was about to buy a 35-100 as well but was stopped when I started to read reports and see tests showing a similar so-so edge performance so this may simply be the design compromise of these lenses. On the plus side it has fast AF, weather sealed, fast aperture, a good solid feel and not bad edge resolution at 35mm. Think I'll sell it unless it's simply a bad copy.

The first question I have is do you have a good reason to shoot at F8.0?

I am getting tired of people stopping m4/3s lenses down and then complaining about the mistake they just made.

Why is it a mistake to stop down to f/8.0 for landscape photos? This ensures everything is in focus, and f/8 isn't a high enough f/stop to have any major loss of sharpness from diffraction.

Because micro four thirds @ 12mm doesn't have a very shallow depth of field no matter what the focal ratio is.

Are you shooting traditional landscape images where you want infinity to be in focus or are you shooting macro images of objects that occur in nature? If you are shooting Macro then perhaps you would need to stop down significantly to retain the proper focus.

For everything else you will find that any near field areas closer to wide open will be better than if you stop down.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow